The game consists of exactly 12 rounds, symbolizing the 12 months in the Year of the Dragon. Each round consists of the following 4 phases, in order:
- 1st Phase: Choose an Action
- If you choose an action in the same grouping as another player has already chosen, you must pay 3 yuan.
- 2nd Phase: Choose a New Person
- If you do not have available space in any palaces, you must discard a different person before placing your new person.
- 3rd Phase: Event
- After the event resolves, any palaces which are unoccupied lose 1 floor.
- 4th Phase: Scoring
- 1 point for each palace.
- 1 point For each court lady.
- 1 point For each privilege. (Small privilege = 1 point; Large privilege = 2 points)
- 2 points for each person tile.
- For each monk: score [number of Buddhas] x [number of floors] points.
- Each player sells back to the supply all of his rice and fireworks tiles for 2 yuan each. Afterward, each player earns 1 victory point for every 3 yuan he possesses.